Skip to main content

March 21st = my 2 years on HRT Anniversary.

Field Notes In/On Transition

March 21st = my 2 years on HRT Anniversary.

I had written one of those down in the depths of depression kind of blog posts, or most of one, earlier, this week. I deleted it all though, to start afresh. Because that’s what you do when you recover from an episode of real rolling around in the ashes, which was what that early part of the week was for me. All the things that were bothering me, most of which I have no control over, caught up with me. I had no hope. I was inconsolable, for a couple of days. 

But I reached out on Facebook, and had a lot of really solid support, advice and love. This is one reason I love that there is something like facebook. The branding is meaningless, it’s the place where I can reach out when I feeling too low to talk in person, or call someone, I can simply look at other peoples’ lives and gain perspective. I don’t love facebook, but I love that pretty much all the people I love, are there, and reasonably active. I can see that just like me, they have their ups downs, births, deaths, changes. We get to share in each others joys and sorrows in ways that are hard to do in person any more, with people you might never have been able to keep in touch with, before the internet and it’s hypnotizing swirl.

This and some real talk with a few friends, and family, as well as a great eyebrow tweezing from my friend Kaylah. This was the final bit of feather I needed to lift myself out of the nest of sorrow I had been engulfed in. This is one bit of ‘Lady Maintenance’ that always gives me a boost in confidence, I remembered, as soon as I looked in the mirror.

The week ended with having a few beer with some women friends of mine who like me, like their beer with exotic names and tastes. All four of us were/are going through shifts, big shifts in our lives, things changing in big ways. It was a lovely way to end the week, having grown up-ish discussions of our hopes and fears around these changes. And, of course flirting with the Lovely Scottish waiter, and the ritual eating of french fries. It gives me so much joy to finally really feel like I’m out with my girls, being one of the girls.

I wandered home a little drunk, but happy to end my week on a positive note, as inspired as I was by my friends’ plans, hopes and desires being so much stronger than their fears. I realized that all of us were making great strides forward with our lives, engaged with the now, and the tomorrow. Even me, I am doing this too, though earlier in the week, I would have denied it, feeling so low, unwanted, unheard, things that can only last so long in my life, because I have so much support that I know I can reach out for online, and in real life.

Writing my blog posts, working on my novel, taking photographs, making videos, these things, I have been doing less and less sporadically over the years. I am finally writing regularly, working on learning as I write, and read, what i want to write about and what i am writing about.

I have been updating my media blog with dvd reviews very regular for the last month. my current vague plan, to keep my hand in  while I try to find a bit more money, either through anther local P/T gig, or some online, telecommuting gigs... I have no idea. But I do know that either way I want to start doing more writing about the media I consume. I realized recently, that maybe my upswing in time spent reading, was not just about being able to sit down and write a novel, but to activate all the things I want to discuss in print (and by print I mean, online) So this vague plan is to update that blog also with my opinions, reviews on the books I read, the comics I read, and the bits of TV I still watch.

Momentum is the thing I’m looking for, and I have opinions on these things, but I always need time to mull, before I start writing my impressions, how I feel about these pieces of art.

Doing this much blog posting will help the visibility of my blog, the more you post, the more you show up in searches, etc... but also it’s regularly writing about different forms of art, and writing about myself.

I’m not the sort of writer to review a Spider-man story and not give you a bit of my relationship with that character that with Sesame Street, taught me how to read. That’s how it seems to me, at least, I’m sure the facts are different, but those are the things that made an impression, that lasted.

For me, this is very challenging, I haven’t done much in the way of writing about comics or books, I’ve always only thought to write about film. And definitely I will be doing that as regularly as anything. Of course I want to make room for This Transition blog, and actually working and paying the bills. But life is all about trying to find the life you want to live, right? I sure hope so. :)



Thank you again to all my friends, and family who have shown me such compassion and love when I stumble on this journey. I reposted on old facebook, the other day, one of those jpgs with clever sayings, that read; “If you stumble, make It part of the Dance.”

I feel like I’m moving forward even if I may have to make the odd side trip for supplies, I am still moving forward.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes.

Field Notes In/On Transition. Hair colour, Pride, and comfortable shoes. August, thus far has been a bit hotter and stickier here in the “Groovy ‘Couv,” than the previous couple of months... my brain is a tub of molasses, it seems. Hopefully it will cool down so I can get back to posting as regularly as I have been all summer. It’s “Pride Week” or for me really, the weekend at least, I went to the parade yesterday (Sunday, August 5th), after missing it last year due to extreme laziness. But this year I am feeling a bit more proud of myself, and I had a pal to hang out with and see the parade. I often end up going to things like this alone, and feeling less included than I ought to. More on that in a bit, first let me rewind to Saturday and talk about taking another one of those things that for me, is a big step on my journey: having a real “hair appointment.” (there’s a Bugs Bunny reference there somewhere)  I went down to one of those salons (The former “Joji’s”

Last indolent Spinster Almost Daily Report from DOXA 2018

My last laconic lazy one take video chatting about the last couple days of the festival DOXA 2018

Field Notes In/On Transition

Field Notes In/On Transition 20/04/12 Yesterday I mentioned to my neighbour, about how now, at not quite a month into HRT (Anti Androgen lowering testosterone slowly over several month to lady levels.) “My emotions are seeming to come from a different place”. This is at least…  how I have processed my recent emotional life, at any rate.  If you know me, you know that I can have a short fuse at times. It often erupts more with pissiness winning out over pithiness. It’s happened a few times recently, and the best way to explain it is of course, with fuzzy metaphors: With my former (I see as) elevated testosterone levels, my pissiness had a rougher rusty serrated edge yet foggy to it. My lowered testosterone rages seem cleaner, razor edged, sharp like a samurai sword across a sunset. I still have a hair trigger, it’s just easier for me to get over it.  Weird? yes, but well, I am more of a poet, than I am any other kind of writer, and imagery is my bread, peanut butter, an